Please click here for more detailed information on individual and collective research projects and publications.
Funding and Grants
Prof. Niki Panteli (CoI)
Project: TIPS in the blended home-work environment: a sociotechnical perspective. With Collins, E. (PI – Cardiff) , Nurse, J (Kent)., Williams, N (Cranfield).
Grant Amount: £21,961 (80% FEC). | Funding Body: EPSRC Sprite+ Sandpit. | Duration: September to December 2020
Prof. Niki Panteli and Dr. Philip Wu
Project: Mobile e-shopping feature on Smartify App
Grant amount: £5,000 | Funding Body: Storyfutures Fellowship | Duration: July to October, 2020
Dr Ayomikun Idowu (PI)
Project: Digital Entrepreneurship on Retail Platforms: A way to formalise employment for young people in the UK and Africa.
Grant amount: £25,643(80% FEC) | Funding body: Digit futures at work research centre| Duration: September 2020 to August 2021
Prof. Niki Panteli (part of the Discribe team)
Project: Discribe conducts transformative social science research to help make a safer digital future.
- Led by Prof H. Crawley (PI, Coventry University) the ‘South-South Migration, Inequality and Development Hub’ is a multi-million pound major research programme funded by UKRI through their Global Challenges initiative. DOS member (and Director of Engagement for the Centre), Prof G Harindranath, is a Co-I on this research programme (with Prof T Unwin, Geography) responsible for the Work Package ‘Technology, Inequality and Migration’ (£670K).
- Led by DOS member (and Director of Funding for the Centre) Prof Mark Lycett(PI), ‘HYPHEN: Hyper Reality Production Tools for Immersive Experiences’ is an interdisciplinary research project (CoI Prof P Dalton, Psychology) with significant impact potential and funded by Innovate UK (£53.2K).
- Led by Dr D Fields (PI, University of Sheffield), Dr Tom Wainwright is CoI on the research project ‘Digital Platforms for the Rental Market: Disrupting or Exacerbating Power Asymmetries’ funded by the British Academy (£49K).
- Led by DOS member (and Co-Director of the Centre), Dr Yingqin Zheng (PI) with Co-I, Shyam Krishna (Phd student and Director of Social Media for the Centre), ‘Between digital platforms and the deep sea-social justice implications of digital platforms on marginality in coastal south India’ is funded by the EPSRC Not-Equal Network (£4.3K)
- DOS member, Justin O’Brien, (PI) seeks to address the question ‘Can a multi-media, Moodle based critical analysis skills intervention encourage final year undergraduates to engage more deeply with UoL library resources?’ in a project funded by the Centre for Distance Education Teaching and Research (5.9K)
- Andrea Jiminez and Zheng, Y (forthcoming) Unpacking the multiple spaces of innovation hubs, The Information Society
- Badger, A., & Woodcock, J. (2019) ‘Ethnographic methods with limited access: assessing quality of work in hard to reach jobs’, in
- Bell, D., Lycett, M., Marshan, A. and Monaghan, A. (forthcoming). Exploring Future Challenges for Big Data in the Humanitarian Domain. Journal of Business Research.
- Chamakiotis, P, Petrakaki, D. Panteli, N. (2020), Social Value Creation through Digital Activism in an Online Health Community, Information Systems Journals, Accepted May 29, 2020
- Chamakiotis, P., Boukis, A., Panteli, N., & Papadopoulos, T. (2020). The role of temporal coordination for the fuzzy front-end of innovation in virtual teams. International Journal of Information Management, 50, 182-190.
- Engesmo J. and Panteli N. (forthcoming), Invisible Work Pre- and Post- Digitalisation: The Case of a Health Authority in Norway, Scandinavian Journal of Information Systems, Accepted June 6, 2020
- Handbook of Research Methods on the Quality of Working Lives, Wheatley, D. (ed.). Pp. 135-146.
- Idowu, A., & Elbanna, A. (2020). Digital platforms of work and the crafting of career path: The crowdworkers’ perspective. Information Systems Frontier. DOI: 10.1007/s10796-020-10036-1
- Idowu, A., & Elbanna, A. (forthcoming). Institutionalising crowdwork as a mode of employment: The case of crowdworkers in Nigeria. In Mitev N., Aroles J., Stephenson K., Malaurent J. (Eds.). New Ways of Working: Organizations and Organizing in the Digital Age. Palgrave.
- Idowu, A., & Elbanna, A. (forthcoming). ‘I just happen to meet my clients on the Internet’ Crowdworkers, their work identity and the shaping of work conduct in context. Information and Organization.
- Kravets, Olga, Chloe Preece, and Pauline Maclaran (2020). The Uniform Entrepreneur: Making Gender Visible in Social Enterprise. Journal of Macromarketing: 0276146720930331.
- Krishna, S. (2020). Digital identity, datafication and social justice: understanding Aadhaar use among informal workers in south India. Information Technology for Development, 1-24.
- Panteli, N., Rapti A. and Scholarios, D. ‘’If he knew who we were’: Microworkers’ Attachment in a fragmented employment relationship. Work, Employment & Society, Forthcoming. Accepted on December 7, 2019
- Van Doorn, N., & Badger, A. (2020) ‘Platform Capitalism’s Hidden Abode: Producing Data Assets in the Gig Economy’, Antipode, 52(5), pp. 1475-1495. doi.org/10.1111/anti.12641
- Whiting, R., & Symon, G. (2020). Digi-housekeeping: the invisible work of flexibility. Work, Employment and Society, 0950017020916192.
- Wu PF, Vitak J and Zimmer MT (2020) A contextual approach to information privacy research. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 71(4): 485–490. DOI: 10.1002/asi.24232.
- Zheng, Y & Stahl, B. (forthcoming). A Critical Capability Approach to Evaluate Open Development, in Chib A, Smith ML and Bentley CM (eds) Critical Perspectives on Open Development: Empirical Interrogation of Theory Construction. MIT Press
- Al zadjali, K. & Elbanna, A. (2019). Smart Institutional Intervention in the Adoption of Digital Infrastructure: The Case of Government Cloud Computing in Oman. Information Systems Frontiers. p. 1-16
- Azer, E., Harindranath, G. and Zheng, Y. (2019), Revisiting leadership in information and communication technology (ICT)-enabled activism: A study of Egypt’s grassroots human rights groups, New Media & Society, Vol. 21 No. 5, pp. 1141–1169.
- Bassiouni, D., Hackley, C. & Meshreki, H. (2019). The integration of video games in family-life dynamics: An adapted technology acceptance model of family intention to consume video games. Information Technology and People. p. 1-21
- Bernardi, R. (2017), Health Information Systems and Accountability in Kenya: a Structuration Theory Perspective. Journal of the Association for Information Systems, 18, 931-958.
- Cappellini, B., Kravets, O., & Reppel, A. (in press). Shouting on Social Media? A borderscapes perspective on a contentious hashtag. Technological Forecasting and Social Change
- Chamakiotis, P., Boukis, A., Panteli, N. & Papadopoulos, T. (2019). The role of temporal coordination for the fuzzy front-end of innovation in virtual teams. International Journal of Information Management. 50, p. 182-190
- Charitsis, V. & Laamanen, M., 2019. Resisting the Googlization of Life. Grassroots Mobilisation Meets Data Activism: Lessons from the Struggle Against the “Google Campus” in Berlin.
- Cordoba Pachon, JR (2018). Managing Creativity: A Systems Thinking Journey. Routledge Publishing
- Cordoba-Pachon, J-R (2019).Cobertura de servicios digitales, posconflicto y creatividad en Colombia: un análisis crítico. Revista Stultifera. 2, 1, p. 30-49
- Cordoba-Pachon, J-R. & Paucar, A. (2019). The Unfolding and Resurfacing of Information Systems Knowledge over the Last 25 Years: A Systemic Perspective Systems Research and Behavioral Science. 36, 4, p. 445-460
- Coronado Mondragon A.E., Coronado Mondragon C., Hogg, P. & Rodriguez-Lopez, N. (2018). A design process for the adoption of composite materials and supply chain reconfiguration supported by a software tool. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 121, 62-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cie.2018.05.022
- Coronado Mondragon A.E. & Coronado Mondragon C. (2018). Managing complex, modular products: how technological uncertainty affects the role of systems integrators in the automotive supply chain. International Journal of Production Research. E-pub ahead of print. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1424362
- Coronado Mondragon, A., Mastrocinque, E., Tsai, J-F. & Hogg, P. (2019). An AHP and Fuzzy AHP Multifactor Decision Making Approach for Technology and Supplier Selection in the High-Functionality Textile Industry. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT. p. 1-14
- Coronado Mondragon, A., Coronado, C. & Coronado, E. (2019). Investigating the Applicability of Distributed Ledger/Blockchain Technology in Manufacturing and Perishable Goods Supply Chains. IEEE 6th International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Applications (ICIEA). Tokyo, Japan: IEEE Xplore, p. 728-732
- Elbanna, A., Bunker, D., Levine, L. & Sleigh, A.(2019) Emergency management in the changing world of social media: Framing the research agenda with the stakeholders through engaged scholarship. International Journal of Information Management. 47, p. 112-120
- Hackley, C. & Hackley, R. A. (2019) Advertising at the threshold: Paratextual promotion in the era of media convergence. Marketing Theory. 19, 2, p. 195-215
- Idowu, A. & Elbanna, A (2019).Bright ICT and Unbounded Employment: Typology of Crowdworkers and Their Lived and Envisaged Career Trajectory in Nigeria. IFIP WG 8.6 Conference 2019. p. 470-486
- Jackson, S. & Wong, M.S. (2017). A cultural theory analysis of e-government: Insights from a local government council in Malaysia. Information Systems Frontiers. 19/6, 1391-1405.
- Jackson, S. (2019) How readable are data breach notifications? Computer Fraud & Security. 2019, 5, p. 6-8
- Lee J.Y., Panteli, N., Hsu, C. and Bulow A.-M (2018), Email Adaptation for Conflict Handling: A Case Study of Cross-border Inter-organisational Partnership in East Asia, Information Systems Journal, Volume 28, Issue 2, March 2018, Pages: 318–339
- Lirn TC, Yen-Chun JW & Coronado Mondragon A.E. Guest co-editors of the special issue “ISL 2016: Sustainable transport and supply chain innovation”, The International Journal of Logistics Management, 2018, Vol. 29, Issue: 1, pp.2-4, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJLM-12-2017-0336
- Lycett, M. & Radwan. O. (2018). Developing a Quality of Experience (QoE) Model for Web Applications. Early on-line Information Systems Journal.
- Mpanga, D. & Elbanna, A (2019). Framework for Cloud ERP System Implementation in Developing Countries: Learning from Lower Local Governments in Uganda, IFIP WG 8.6 Conference p. 274-292 (AICT).
- Moore, J., Hammerla, N. & Watkins, C. (2019) Explaining Deep Learning Models with Constrained Adversarial Examples. Pacific Rim International Conference on Artificial Intelligence. Springer, p. 43-56 (Lecture Notes in Computer Science; vol. 11670).
- Nguyen, D. K. A., Akram, R. N., Markantonakis, K., Luo, Z. & Watkins, C.. (2019) Location tracking using smartphone accelerometer and magnetometer traces. 14th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2019). Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), p. 1-9
- Ozcan, G., Coronado, A., & Harindranath, G (2018).Strategic Entry and Operational Integration of Emerging Market Firms: The Case of Cemex, Beko and Tata Steel in the UK, Journal of Business Research, Early online https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2018.02.024
- Panteli, N. & Sivunen, A. (2019). “I Am Your Fan; Bookmarked!” Members’ Identification Development in Founder-Led Online Communities. Journal of the association for information systems. 20, 6, p. 824-841
- Wallace A. and Panteli N. (2018) Bringing Relevance to e-learning: A gender perspective, Studies in Higher Education. 43, 2, 292-304. DOI: 10.1080/03075079.2016.1166483
- Sarker, S., Chatterjee, S., Xiao, X. & Elbanna, A. (2019).The Sociotechnical Axis of Cohesion for the IS Discipline: Its Historical Legacy and its Continued Relevance, MIS Quarterly. 43, 3, p. 695-719
- Symon, G. and Whiting, R. (2019). The sociomaterial negotiation of social entrepreneurs’ meaningful work. Journal of Management Studies, 56/3, 655-684
- Wersun, A., Dean, B. A., Mills, R., Perkiss, S., Acosta, P., Anastasiadis, S., Gibbons, B., Gonzalez-Perez, M. A., Heithaus, T., Jun, H., Mesicek, R. H. & Bayerlein, L. (2019) An exploration of student learning for sustainability through the WikiRate student engagement project. International Journal of Management Education. 17, 3, p. 1-1
- Whiting, R., Symon, G., Roby, H., & Chamakiotis, P. (2018). Who’s behind the lens? A reflexive analysis of roles in participatory video research. Organization Research Methods. 21(2) 316-34.
- Whiting, R., Roby, H., Symon, G., &Chamakiotis, P. (2018). Participant-led video diaries. In A. Bryman and D. Buchanan (eds). Unconventional Methodology in Organization and Management Research. Oxford: OUP.pp190-211.
- Wu, P. F (2019). The Privacy Paradox in the Context of Online Social Networking: A Self-Identity Perspective. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 70, 3, p. 1-11
- Wu, P. F (2019). Motivation crowding in online product reviewing: A qualitative study of amazon reviewers. Information & Management. p. 1-9
- Wu, P. F., Vitak, J. & Zimmer, M., (2019). A contextual approach to information privacy research. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. p. 1-6
- Zheng, Y., Hatakka, M., Sahay, S., Andersson, A., (2018). Editorial: Conceptualizing development in information and communication technology for development (ICT4D). Journal of Information Technology for Development 24/1, p.1–14.
- Jiménez, A., & Zheng, Y., (2018). Tech hubs, Innovation and Development. Journal of Information Technology for Development 24/1, 95-118